Alex Weingarten is a partner in Venable’s Commercial Litigation Group with over 15 years of trial experience.
Mr. Weingarten represents clients in all facets of business, probate and entertainment litigation. He has significant experience trying matters in the fields of entertainment, intellectual property, probate and business litigation, and has handled matters of significant depth and sophistication in the areas of media, corporate, real estate, finance, and bankruptcy litigation across the nation. He does not merely litigate cases and settle – with a strong track record of picking juries and winning verdicts. Clients look to Mr. Weingarten to handle “bet the company” cases, to protect their integrity during the very public litigation process, to provide a fresh approach and to suggest novel and overlooked strategies. He is aggressive to optimize results and prides himself on finding the most direct route to victory. Sometimes that means finding a creative solution around a difficult problem. Sometimes it means bowling through it.
Prior to joining Venable, Mr. Weingarten was the managing partner at Weingarten Brown LLP, a boutique Trust and Estate, entertainment and business litigation firm. He began his career at a national law firm.
Trust and Estate Litigation
- Obtained judgment of nonsuit in middle of trial for defendant film financier against a large hedge fund. Substituted in as counsel, taking over from large law firm prior counsel just one month before trial.
- Represented Plaintiffs in claims for compensation due for role in the $800 million purchase and sale of film library.
- Represented internationally renowned musician and actress in employment discrimination claims brought by former driver and counterclaims for extortion.
- Represented plaintiff musician in action arising from injuries sustained during performance at 2009 Tony Awards.
- Represented a production company and producer against a foreign market distributor in International Film and Television Alliance arbitration. Won award for client on all claims, including award of costs and attorneys’ fees, regarding breach of distribution agreement and failure to pay royalties.
- Obtained arbitration award for $3.8 million plus costs and attorneys’ fees for international sales agent in dispute with foreign distributor regarding motion picture titles.
- Won arbitration ruling against studio for breach of lease agreement. Obtained total victory on all claims from arbitrator including award of fees and costs.
- Represented comedian in dispute with television network regarding breach of talent hold agreement.
- Obtained multimillion dollar settlement for largest independent film storage and vault facility in insurance bad faith dispute.
- Represented heirs of $50 million estate against new Trustee/beneficiary who had altered trust documents while decedent was incapacitated.
- Represented Trustee and main beneficiary of Trust against claim by co-beneficiary (son of decedent) who was unhappy with his share of the estate. Claims resolved in client’s favor and petitioner challenging terms of trust was successfully disinherited through successful invocation of no-contest clause.
- Represented beneficiary of multimillion dollar estate that had been disinherited by his sister, who surreptitiously altered trust documents of decedent using undue influence and fraud. Terms of original trust were restored and client received his rightful share of his parents’ estate.
- Represented majority of beneficiaries and co-Trustees in dispute between sisters over $20 million estate and litigated claims on behalf of the estate against third parties, successfully bringing $10 million into the estate. Defeated effort by one beneficiary to attempt to force others to sell Trust assets.
Intellectual Property Litigation
- Won seven figure arbitration award for heirs of partner with business in dispute over buy-sell agreement. Judgment included award of attorney’s fees, costs and pre-judgment interest.
- Represented medical imaging center in a jury trial against a large national medical industry conglomerate over breach of an installation contract. Obtained unanimous jury verdict for client on all counts (breach of contract, negligence, negligent misrepresentation), defeating all counterclaims in the process.
- Represented client in bench trial on liability issues in inverse condemnation case. Won trial on liability issues, case settled for $5.75 million two days prior to jury trial on damages.
- Represented telecommunications company in rate discrimination case against international service provider.
- Represented cable television network in defense of trademark claims brought by liquor company.
- Represented television network in defense of copyright claims relating to broadcast of documentary feature.
- Represented manufacturer in patent litigation regarding sliding door technology.
- Represented toy manufacturer in defense of trademark claims over color of products brought by competitor.
- Represented toy company in defense of trademark and breach of license claims.
- Represented internet site (one of the 20 highest traffic sites in the world) in pre-litigation settlement of trademark infringement and dilution claims.
Mr. Weingarten was honored by the Daily Journal
in 2013 as one of the Top 20 Lawyers in California Under 40. He was selected as a Southern California Super Lawyer
in 2014 and was previously chosen as a Super Lawyer Rising Star
each year from 2008-2013. Mr. Weingarten has served as a member of the Law360
Media and Entertainment Editorial Advisory Board and Los Angeles Lawyer
Editorial Board. He is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Junior Statesmen Foundation and on the National Young Leadership Cabinet for the Jewish Federations of North America. He, his wife and two children live in Los Angeles.