U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- J.D., cum laude, Southwestern University School of Law, 2005
First Place Team Award, J. Braxton Craven, Jr. Moot Court Competition, February, 2005
First Place Brief Award, J. Braxton Craven, Jr. Moot Court Competition, February, 2005
Extern – Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Administrative Law Judge Diane Arkow-Gross
- Graduate, International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) Trial Academy, Stanford Law School
- B.A., with honors, University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 2002
Los Angeles County Bar Association
Federal Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
American Bar Association, Products Liability Section
Board of Governors, Los Angeles chapter of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers
Celeste M. Brecht
Celeste Brecht’s practice focuses on complex civil litigation. She has been a member of multiple trial teams in both state and federal court, and has obtained successful jury verdicts for her clients. Additionally, Ms. Brecht has won numerous dispositive motions in advance of trial and has managed cases from inception through post-verdict motions involving commercial business disputes, employment matters, as well as products and premises liability cases for clients ranging in size from regional business entities to Fortune 50 companies. Ms. Brecht has also obtained successful results for her clients in a variety of administrative forums.
Super Lawyers has named Ms. Brecht a California Rising Star each year since 2009.
Ms. Brecht has represented companies across a wide variety of industries including manufacturing, pharmaceutical, consumer products and services, media and entertainment, and healthcare.
- Defeated class certification in California consumer protection and unfair competition case.
- Obtained favorable verdict on behalf of leading media company in a defamation trial.
- Won anti-SLAPP motion, affirmed on appeal, on behalf of a high-profile actor, producer, and comedian, which defeated allegations of harassment, discrimination, and defamation.
- Obtained defense verdict, affirmed on appeal, on behalf of leading pharmaceutical company in first California bellwether trial in coordinated proceeding.
- Obtained a dismissal, with prejudice, of a wrongful death complaint, relative to a notorious fatality, brought against a production company that was producing promotional content for a major motion picture.
- Obtained favorable verdict for a leading manufacturer of fiberglass reinforced plastics in a case where jury held unanimously client was not liable for $28 million in compensatory damages sought by plaintiff.
- Obtained defense verdict for premises owner in case involving a large publicly traded international oil and gas company, which was selected by a widely-read publication as one of the top defense verdicts in 2012, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained seven-figure jury verdict for the former General Counsel of a national mortgage lender, in a breach of employment contract action.
- On behalf of a pharmaceutical company, obtained dismissal in high-profile personal injury case involving college athlete.
- On behalf of a national media and entertainment company, defeated former executive’s wrongful termination and related tort claims through a series of dispositive and exclusionary motions.
- On behalf of a chemical company, obtained summary judgment in a products liability case by showing plaintiff’s theory of exposure was "speculative."
- On behalf of a gasket manufacturer, obtained summary judgment in a products liability case by demonstrating plaintiff could not show specific causation.
- Won a Cal/OSHA appellate hearing, knocking down a "serious" citation on behalf of a national construction company.
- Successfully resolved numerous disputes arising from allegations of California’s Prop 65 environmental regulation on behalf of manufacturers, distributors, retailers, and premises.
Ms. Brecht is on the Board of Governors for the Los Angeles chapter of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers, an organization that provides a forum in which litigators and judges meet together to address issues important to business trial lawyers.
Ms. Brecht also assists survivors of domestic violence in obtaining temporary restraining orders as part of the Los Angeles County Bar Association's Domestic Violence Project.