Bobby Turnage presented "Managing and Responding to Data Security Breaches: Minimizing Reputational, Business and Legal Costs" at American Conference Institute's (ACI) 2nd National Summit on Industrial & National Security Compliance in Arlington, VA on November 15, 2012.
The topics discussed included:
- Developing an incident response plan;
- Who should conduct an internal investigation after a potential breach;
- When to contact law enforcement;
- When to notify affected third parties of a data breach;
- Implementing mitigation efforts such as hiring outside experts, regaining control of infrastructure, and strengthening encryption;
- Working with ISRs to implement remedial procedures and protect your facility clearance (FCL) status; and
- Minimizing legal liability if a breach occurs and adhering to certain basic security principals such as changing passwords and securing wireless networks.