Is your website covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)? The short answer is: Possibly. This area of the law continues to evolve, with state-by-state differences based on the type of website. In the meantime, class actions alleging lack of website accessibility are hot. Venable’s lawyers and Ken Nakata, director of the Accessibility Consulting Practice at Cyxtera Technologies, work together to advise companies on the legal and practical issues encountered in complying with the ADA and Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and responding to litigation. If you are in the New York City area, we hope you can join this experienced panel at our offices. The program will also be streamed live via webinar. CLE will be available.
The panel will address these and other questions:
- Is your organization's website subject to the ADA?
- What is the state of the law today governing website accessibility?
- What puts your website at risk?
- How can your organization reduce the risk of litigation on this issue?
- What role should website accessibility play in your broader risk management policy?
- What are the requirements for your organization's apps and/or mobile sites?
- How do you ensure compliance in vendor contracts, as part of due diligence reviews, and vendor management processes?
- Are there additional requirements if your company operates outside the United States?
- What are some common legal defenses if you are sued?
- What are the remedies if a court finds your website inaccessible?
This program is geared toward HR professionals, general counsel and legal staff, technology specialists, and IT and communication personnel at for-profit and not-for-profit organizations.
Networking Luncheon - 12:00–12:30 p.m. ET
Program/Webinar - 12:30–1:30 p.m. ET
Douglas B. Mishkin, Partner, Labor & Employment Practice, Venable LLP
Nicholas M. Reiter, Counsel, Labor & Employment Practice, Venable LLP
Karel Mazanec, Associate, Labor & Employment Practice, Venable LLP
Ken Nakata, Director of Accessibility Consulting Practice, Cyxtera