Jami Mills Vibbert is a member of Venable’s Privacy and Data Security practice who advises and counsels clients on matters related to data security, data protection, and data risk management. She conducts comprehensive data security risk assessments and gap analyses, and develops and implements data risk solutions and comprehensive breach prevention and incident response programs. She also assists clients on a wide variety of complex litigation, including incident response investigations and litigation, focusing on the healthcare and financial institution industries.
Ms. Vibbert began her legal career at an international law firm, focusing on data risk assessment and management and all aspects of complex and cross-border commercial litigation and arbitration.
Data Risk Assessment
- Advised global financial services company on regulatory compliance with respect to broad information governance issues, including privacy and data security concerns.
- Advised large educational institution regarding data security incident inquiry by the Federal Trade Commission.
- Lead attorney in advising pharmaceutical company regarding enterprise data risk, including with respect to data security, data transfer, and information governance.
- Coordinated litigation readiness tabletop exercise for international pharmaceutical company regarding anti-kickback and beneficiary inducement statutes in relation to patient assistance programs and eDiscovery issues.
- Lead attorney in conducting data security risk assessment for pharmaceutical company and addressing data security issues.
- Lead attorney in development of pharmaceutical company's information governance program, ediscovery management, and assessing other data risk issues.
- Lead attorney in advising on data security and data risk issues and development of large healthcare provider’s information governance program and eDiscovery policies and procedures.
- Lead attorney in assessing data security, privacy, and related risks with moving to the cloud.
- Coordinated representation of major pharmaceutical company in litigations to recover confidential data; obtained favorable orders on motion for contempt and nearly $1,000,000 in costs; assisted in obtaining relief from an injunction in the related St. Vincent action.
- Represented major pharmaceutical company in putative class action lawsuit alleging fraud in connection with sales of its products; advised on cross-border eDiscovery issues.
- Represented major pharmaceutical company in multidistrict products liability litigation; coordinated removal and consolidation proceedings; oversaw local counsel.
- Strategically coordinated parallel English and U.S. litigations for UK investment bank and Luxembourg-based asset fund, including U.S. state and federal bankruptcy court actions, regarding disputed rights to technology and investments in a U.S. semiconductor company; obtained forum non conveniens dismissal and anti-suit injunction in civil actions.
- Represented court-appointed receiver for Madoff feeder fund in state, federal district, bankruptcy, and appellate court litigation; second-chaired related arbitration and obtained favorable award; obtained denial of motion for leave to file a complaint against receiver in state-court litigation and affirmance on appeal in the First Department and New York Court of Appeals; obtained favorable Second Circuit decision upholding federal court denial of Trustee's attempt to block $410 settlement of state court action; obtained favorable decision dismissing several causes of action on motion to dismiss in adversary proceeding in bankruptcy court.
Ms. Vibbert serves on the Board of Directors for the Court Appointed Special Advocates for Children (CASA) – New York City, and is the Chair of the Nominating Committee. She is also on the Board of Advisory Editors of the Tulane Law Review
and the Board of Directors of the Tulane Law Review Alumni Association.