Venable's labor and employment attorneys understand the unique issues important to energy industry employers. Our in-depth knowledge of this highly regulated industry allows us to provide advice on a wide variety of labor and employment issues critical to businesses in the energy sector, such as unionization, collective bargaining, reduction of labor costs, healthcare benefits, ERISA liability and workplace safety.
Clients tell Chambers and Partners that, "Venable has a very credible core of labor and employment lawyers."
Employers who use our services include both unionized and non-union coal companies, oil companies, power plants and a broad spectrum of energy service related firms. Our attorneys represent these employers in nearly any labor and employment law issue that may arise, including mediation, arbitration, litigation, and agency proceedings. Venable attorneys have negotiated numerous watershed labor agreements with some of the country's most powerful unions, including the United Steelworkers of America, United Mine Workers of America, the Paper, Allied-Industrial, Chemical and Energy Workers International Union, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, and the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers.
Recognizing that the goal of our clients is to prevent and manage their business risks, we regularly counsel and train clients on union avoidance, employee terminations, arbitration, and contract administration and interpretation. Our attorneys are also frequently asked to provide education and training for managers on all aspects of personnel management.
Venable attorneys have been involved in numerous engagements as labor and employment counsel for energy organizations, including the following:
- assisted in negotiations for labor agreements for affiliates of a large energy corporation involving significant modifications to retiree health care eligibility criteria;
- participated as principal advisor in collective bargaining that resulted in a replacement agreement and special drug formulary for one of the nation's largest coal mining companies, thereby reducing prescription drug costs for employers;
- bargained for and drafted retirement and health care plans pursuant to collective bargaining agreements;
- counseled energy employers in dealing with union organizing, unfair labor practice charges and labor issues arising from mergers, acquisitions and bankruptcy;
- counseled energy employers in handling all aspects of employee benefits;
- arbitrated issues in both labor and employee benefit matters for energy industry employers; and
- litigated labor and ERISA cases in federal courts around the country.
As counsel to energy employers across the nation, we are concerned with every aspect of the employer-employee relationship in the energy industry. Our decades of experience across a wide range of industries and practice areas can help you control your labor costs, avoid workplace disputes, and defend yourself when litigation arises.