Ryan Andrews is a litigator who defends employers against a broad range of civil lawsuits. He regularly counsels employers in the entertainment, healthcare, retail, manufacturing, and telecommunications industries on best practices for hiring, firing, paying, providing leaves of absence, maintaining personnel policies, and disciplining employees in compliance with the complex web of California and federal employment laws. He also counsels both employers and executives on navigating restrictive covenants and non-competition agreements and on enforcing protections of valuable trade secrets.
Mr. Andrews has successfully resolved wrongful termination, harassment, discrimination, wage and hour, whistleblower, breach of contract, consumer protection, and various other civil claims at all stages of litigation, including success at trial, on summary judgment and on motions to dismiss. He actively practices in both state and federal court, as well as before various California and federal administrative agencies and in private arbitrations.
Advice & Counseling Matters
- Routinely negotiated and drafted employment agreements on behalf of both large nationwide employers and high-level executives.
- Overseen and advised on numerous large-small and nationwide reductions in force.
- Audited hundreds of employment agreements and policies for legal compliance and best practices.
- Provided training for employers on harassment prevention and employment best practices.
- Counseled numerous start-up companies and foreign corporations starting to do business in the United States on employment best practices, hiring documents, and related policies.
- Conducted investigations into harassment and discrimination complaints.
- Counsels employers daily on sensitive decisions relating to hiring, firing, compensation, internal investigations, and personnel issues.
- Advises on employment-related issues relating to mergers and acquisitions.
- Advised employers and executives on navigating non-compete agreements and restrictive convents in connection with lateral hires from competitors.
- Obtained emergency temporary and permanent stay-away orders on behalf of multiple employers to protect current employees against violent former employees.
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit by out-of-state employer seeking to enforce non-compete restrictions on California employees.
- Obtained dismissal of sanctions in favor of employer based on employee’s spoliation of electronically stored information.
- Obtained successful verdict in federal bench trial for small business owners on compensation dispute.
- Obtained dismissal through judgment on the pleadings for employer in wrongful termination lawsuit, with discovery sanctions and costs awarded in favor of client.
- Obtained summary judgment for employers on discrimination and retaliation claims.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of media and technology companies in action for violation of California's anti-SPAM email laws.
- Represented indigent immigrant and argued before the 9th Circuit to defend against deportation.
- Successfully moved to strike class action and vicarious liability allegations brought by consumer plaintiff.
- Obtained emergency writ of possession on immediate ex parte basis to return valuable property, with which defendant had absconded, to celebrity client.
Mr. Andrews provides pro bono advice to nonprofits and charitable organizations in the Los Angeles community on employment-related issues.