Healthcare law and policy is prominent in Venable’s Maryland state legislative and government affairs practice. We represent a broad range of healthcare stakeholders in Maryland, including insurance companies, health maintenance organizations, managed care organizations, pharmacy benefit managers, pharmaceutical companies, hospitals and health systems, nursing homes, healthcare professionals, residential service agencies, healthcare staffing agencies, and medical laboratories. We advocate on behalf of our clients at all levels of state government, including the legislative branch, the executive branch, the State Board of Public Works, and regulatory agencies. We represent our clients’ interests in a wide array of contexts, including the enactment of legislation, state budget matters, the development of regulatory policy and regulations, government contracts, and executive branch action.
Each of our lawyers in this area has more than twenty years of experience representing clients before the Maryland legislative and executive branches. Our team of lawyers includes a former chief of staff and counsel to the president of the Senate of Maryland, a former principal counsel to the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee, and staff to the House Appropriations Committee.
It is our philosophy that successful government relations efforts in Maryland must include meticulous attention to the legislative process, as well as personal knowledge of both the Maryland political arena and its principal players. We have built a record of unparalleled success through years of hard work, as well as long-standing relationships with key Maryland officials. Combined with our deep subject matter knowledge and experience in healthcare law and policy in Maryland, we are uniquely situated to help our healthcare clients achieve their government relations objectives in Maryland and tackle their most challenging problems with state government.
- The Venable team successfully represented a pharmacy benefit manager in its bid for a contract for the state employee health benefit plan by the Board of Public Works, the largest state contract ever awarded at the time of the award in 2012.
- The Venable team successfully represented a major Maryland health insurer in bringing about legislation altering attachment points above which a medical stop-loss insurer assumes liability for losses incurred by an insured.
- The Venable team successfully represented a major Maryland health insurer in bringing about emergency legislation authorizing the Maryland Insurance Commissioner to take certain actions if another state enacts a law or takes a regulatory action that imposes specified requirements on a nonprofit health service plan operating in Maryland that are harmful to the interests of subscribers covered by policies issued or delivered in Maryland.
- The Venable team successfully represented a major Maryland and D.C. health system in bringing about legislation altering the definition of "hospital services" for purposes of rate setting to clarify that merged asset hospital systems may operate a federal 340B Drug Pricing Program at another system hospital.
- The Venable team successfully represented a major health maintenance organization in bringing about legislation authorizing group model HMOs to engage in drug therapy management programs.
- The Venable team represented the interests of Maryland Managed Care Organizations before budget committees of the Maryland General Assembly and before the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene during consideration of the Medical Care Programs Administration Budget.