Representative Global Litigation Matters
- Venable represented a major international defense contractor in litigation with a communications satellite services provider for breach of contract and negligence in connection with a failed satellite launch. We successfully defended against primary causes of action at trial and on appeal, resulting in a settlement favorable to the client.
- We have handled U.S. litigation for a family home office based in Monaco, as well as its special purpose vehicles and the individual family members. The clients have offices in Hong Kong and throughout Europe. We have also provided pre-litigation advice to these clients in connection with various investments in the United States and Europe. To address matters that have international components, we have coordinated with foreign counsel.
SEC and Investigations
- Venable represents a large generic drug manufacturer based overseas with a U.S. manufacturing and market presence, in wide-ranging criminal and civil investigations by the U.S. Department of Justice, coupled with administrative enforcement actions by the Food and Drug Administration. The FDA has issued warning letters and an Import Alert for the company’s foreign facilities, and has invoked the Application Integrity Policy as to one of the foreign facilities, while the DOJ and FDA have pursued a criminal and civil False Claims Act investigation. Venable has represented the company for over two years in negotiations with the U.S. government.
- We currently represent the former controller of a publicly traded Latin American Internet advertising company in an SEC enforcement action alleging violations of the securities laws stemming from purported accounting improprieties brought in the Southern District of New York.
- Venable represented a major international corporation in a grand jury investigation conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice Antitrust Division of alleged price-fixing in the tobacco industry. The investigation of our client was closed without any government action.
- Venable's antitrust attorneys successfully defended a multinational pharmaceutical company in a complex FTC investigation of alleged antitrust violations related to settlement of patent litigation involving branded and generic pharmaceuticals.
- We are currently representing a multinational logistics corporation in a DOJ export control investigation and parallel Department of Commerce administrative investigation.
- We have assisted our pharmaceutical clients in responding to congressional investigations and in defending against mass tort claims in the United Kingdom and Canada.
- We represented a target/subject in an SEC and DOJ investigation (a Brazilian citizen) into payments by a Brazilian subsidiary of a U.S. corporation made to government officials in a Far East country in order to secure a portion of a monopoly market in tobacco.
- We provided ongoing advice for FCPA concerns to a large multinational petroleum and petrochemicals company on arrangements with global suppliers and sourcing agents, and reviewed and enhanced policies and procedures for contractual agreements for import and export controls compliance and FCPA concerns.
- We reviewed and enhanced an FCPA/Anti-Corruption compliance policy, reviewed and enhanced training materials for both employees and agents, and reviewed and enhanced agent and vendor contracts for a multinational, U.S.-based government contractor with specific emphasis on conducting operations in the Middle East war zones.
- We represented a U.S. software engineering company with global independent sales representatives by reviewing and enhancing corporate policies and procedures, contractual documents and standard terms and conditions for export concerns.
- Venable represented a defense contractor in a DOJ criminal FCPA investigation involving the Middle East and Central Asia.
- We conducted an internal investigation and represented a defense contractor before the SEC and DOJ regarding allegations of bribing officials of a South American government.
- Venable assisted a client with relationships with foreign embassies in the United States, ensuring compliance with FCPA.
- Venable represented a U.K. furniture manufacturer in connection with an intellectual property dispute with a U.S. furniture manufacturer.
Labor & Employment
- We are providing ongoing employment law advice for domestic and international operations of the U.K.-based insurance company Hiscox.
- For a major multinational company, we developed employee retention programs for facilities targeted for immediate sale and coordinated all necessary amendments, governmental filings and employee communications regarding plan changes involved with the sale of the company.
- We handled the first OSHA trial in over a decade in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, and obtained a complete dismissal of electrical violations issued to the client
- We counseled Sodexo, a large French facility services company, with respect to U.S. legal and industrial security requirements relating to performance of U.S. classified contracts and potential acquisition of U.S. companies.