WASHINGTON, DC (July 13, 2004) – Venable LLP has bolstered its already strong national litigation practice with the addition of J. Douglas Baldridge,a highly experienced litigator who has tried 17 significant matters to a verdict during his 17-year career. Mr. Baldridge becomes a partner in Venable’s Washington, DC office.
Mr. Baldridge litigates across an enormous range of legal areas and represents entities in many industry sectors; his clients have included several of the largest companies in the United States.
Mr. Baldridge moves to Venable from the Washington, DC office of Howrey, Simon, Arnold & White, LLP, where last year he won several in-house and external awards for his work. His firm named him pro bono partner of the year for his work on voting rights issues, which included an ongoing suit brought under the Americans with Disabilities Act on behalf of blind voters in Florida.
“Douglas Baldridge is one of those special litigators who not only can lead a trial team, but can do so for virtually any type of client in cases involving almost any legal issue,” said Venable partner G. Stewart Webb, Jr., who heads the firm’s Litigation Division. “In addition to strong commercial work, he’s remained extremely active in social justice cases,” added Mr. Webb.
“Although my trade is litigation, it’s a great opportunity for me to move to a firm that has a broad-based corporate and institutional practice, as well as a strong presence in Washington,” said Mr. Baldridge. “In addition, the firm is committed to allowing me to pursue pro bono work,” he added.
Venable’s litigation practice includes securities matters, white collar and corporate defense, labor and employment, construction, product liability and toxic torts, intellectual property, and appellate work.
Among Mr. Baldridge’s recent litigation matters:
- Private antitrust. Defense of a Fortune 10 consumer products company and defense of a Fortune 20 household products manufacturer against Sherman Act and RICO claims in several-month-long jury trials.
- Governmental antitrust. Defense of various merger candidates against Justice Department and Federal Trade Commission challenges.
- Intellectual Property. Representation of a Fortune 10 oil company in patent infringement dispute; defense of an international publisher against Copyright Act claims; defense of an international publisher in several matters against claims for trademark infringement and false advertising.
- Toxic Torts. Defense of residential real estate developer against claims arising from the U.S. Army’s burial of chemical weapons during World War I; defense of electrical products manufacturer against CERCLA/Superfund claims involving disposal of PCBs.
- Telecommunications. Representation of a telecom company in dispute involving Telco and IDC charges for Internet connection and service.
- Real Estate and Commercial. Representation of pension fund in liquidation of $500 million commercial real estate portfolio.
- Employment. Defense of international consumer products manufacturer and distributor against sex discrimination claims; representation of former executive of munitions and firearms manufacturer asserting claims for age discrimination and wrongful termination
Mr. Baldridge graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Florida State University in 1984, and received his J.D. with honors from George Washington University’s National Law Center in 1987. He is admitted to the Bar in the District of Columbia, Virginia, Maryland and Florida; and is admitted to practice before numerous federal courts at all levels, including the U.S. Supreme Court.
One of the American Lawyer’s top 100 law firms, Venable LLP has attorneys practicing in all areas of corporate and business law, complex litigation, intellectual property and government affairs. Venable serves corporate, institutional, governmental, nonprofit and individual clients throughout the U.S. and around the world from its headquarters in Washington, D.C. and offices in California, Maryland, New York and Virginia.