Mr. Quinn represents utilities before the Public Service Commission and insurance companies and various clients before other state and local bodies; Former House of Delegates Appropriations Committee staff person
BALTIMORE, MD. (December 20, 2012) – Adding to its profile as one of Maryland’s preeminent government affairs law firms, Venable LLP announced that leading Maryland regulatory and legislative counsel Brian Quinn has joined the firm as of counsel. He arrives from the Baltimore office of DLA Piper.
Mr. Quinn represents clients in business litigation and regulatory proceedings, with a focus on government relations work. He advocates for companies across a number of sectors on pending legislation before the Maryland General Assembly, the Baltimore City Council and other county and local governments.
Mr. Quinn has been sought out by regulated utilities, including electrical cooperatives and natural gas and water companies, for their matters before state and local governments and agencies. He has worked on rate issues, financings, licensing and other regulatory matters before the Public Service Commission of Maryland, as well as counseling utilities in negotiations over rights-of-way and franchise rights.
He has also been active in the areas of telecommunications, healthcare and insurance law. He has handled complaints and other proceedings before the Maryland Insurance Administration. Mr. Quinn frequently represents insurers before the Maryland Office of Administrative Hearings and the Workers’ Compensation Commission.
Mr. Quinn’s government experience in the state predates his legal career. Prior to law school, he served as a staff person on the Maryland House of Delegates Appropriations Committee.
“Brian Quinn is a well-tested veteran of Maryland’s regulatory system – this is his 14th legislative session and he continues to demonstrate how well in tune he is with the state’s legal and rulemaking process,” said Venable legislative partner John Stierhoff, who served as counsel in the Maryland State House for more than a dozen years.
“Having Brian on board significantly augments our Public Service Commission practice and enhances all aspects of our legislative and lobbying work in the state,” Mr. Stierhoff added. “Clients who know his work have been quick to sing his praises and we are thrilled to have him in our group.”
Among Mr. Quinn’s noteworthy assignments:
- Represented a major league sports team on political and financing issues related to the development and use of stadiums and sports venues;
- Challenged the approval of a Baltimore County ordinance prohibiting siting of a liquefied natural gas terminal;
- Represented a global power generation and distribution company in both the Circuit Court of Appeals in Anne Arundel County and the Maryland Court of Special Appeals;
- Successfully defended a major natural gas company in Federal District and Appellate Courts over claims brought under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Maryland Consumer Debt Collection Act;
- Successfully represented a natural gas company before the Public Service Commission of Maryland requesting authorization for a $90 million merger;
- Represented a natural gas local distribution company as a customer of an interstate gas pipeline in a rate case before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
“With its top legislative and regulatory groups, and historic roots in Maryland, Venable is a perfect fit for my practice,” Mr. Quinn said. “The firm understands the concerns of companies operating in a highly regulated environment, including businesses in energy, healthcare, telecom and other sectors where I’ve had particular success. I’m looking forward to harnessing my experience to the firm’s outstanding government affairs platform.”
Mr. Quinn received his J.D. from the University of Baltimore School of Law (1994) and his B.A. from St. Mary’s College of Maryland.
# # #
Note: An American Lawyer Global 100 law firm, Venable serves corporate, institutional, governmental, nonprofit and individual clients throughout the U.S. and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, with offices in California, Maryland, New York and Virginia, Venable LLP lawyers and legislative advisors serve the needs of our domestic and global clients in all areas of corporate and business law, complex litigation, intellectual property, regulatory, and government affairs.