U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona
U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Honorable Marilyn Hall Patel, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
Co-Chair, Lawyer Representative Committee for the Northern District of California
Bar Association of San Francisco
Board of Directors
Executive Committee, Litigation Section
Board of Directors, Barristers Club
Editorial Advisory Board Member, California Forms of Pleading and Practice (Matthew Bender)
Board of Directors, Northern District of California Practice Program
President, San Francisco Bank Attorneys Association
Consumer Financial Services Committee, State Bar of California
Angel A. Garganta
Maintaining a national practice with San Francisco roots, Angel Garganta is a partner in Venable's Commercial Litigation Practice Group and Co-Chair of the Class Action Defense Group. A nationally recognized authority on food, beverage, and supplement litigation, and consumer protection laws, Mr. Garganta's practice has a strong focus on advertising law. He is ranked nationally by Chambers USA in the Food & Beverages: Regulatory & Litigation category and is also AV Preeminent ® Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Garganta represents a variety of businesses, including manufacturers and retailers nationally and internationally in a broad range of unfair business practice/consumer class actions and complex commercial disputes. He uses his experience to achieve cost-effective and efficient results on behalf of his clients through early and strategic use of motions to dispose of cases or to position them for favorable settlements.
Prior to joining Venable, Mr. Garganta was a partner at an international law firm.
Food, Beverage and Supplements
Other Consumer Products
- Regularly counselling and representing food, beverage and supplement manufacturers and retailers on advertising and labeling issues and reducing class action risk.
- Representing a food manufacturer in a putative nationwide consumer class action in the Northern District of California involving novel "natural" claims.
- Representing another food manufacturer in a putative nationwide class action in the Southern District of New York involving other novel "natural" claims.
- Defending a dietary supplement company in a four-year long class action in the Northern District of California alleging that the company falsely advertises the joint health benefits of its products.
- Defending a food retailer in a putative nationwide class action in the Central District of California alleging false advertising of almond milk products.
- Representing a health and wellness company in a putative false advertising class action in the Central District of California.
- Defending an infant and toddler food manufacturer in a putative nationwide class action in the Eastern District of New York alleging misleading use of the term "organic."
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice in a nationwide class action in the District of Massachusetts alleging that a popular supplement is ineffective.
- Represented a yogurt manufacturer in Lanham Act action against a competitor, obtaining preliminary injunction stopping the competitor’s advertising campaign.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice for a national quick serve restaurant chain in a putative nationwide consumer class action in the Central District of California alleging an "adulterated" ingredient.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of all claims in a putative consumer class action alleging that a yogurt manufacturer's yogurt violated the FDA's Standards of Identity.
- Defended a national food manufacturer and a national grocery chain in multiple false advertising and consumer class actions regarding the trans fat content of various food products.
- Obtained summary judgment and dismissal for a national restaurant system in multiple consumer class actions nationally alleging false advertising about the nutritional content of its menu items.
- Defended a yogurt manufacturer in multiple consumer class actions nationally alleging false advertising about the health benefits of its probiotic products.
- Represented a major French food and beverage producer as plaintiff in a multijurisdictional international commercial litigation against its Chinese joint venture partners.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of putative nationwide class action against major supplement retailer alleging that 16 products were misleadingly labeled and advertised.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of all claims in a purported consumer class action alleging a RICO conspiracy to mislead consumers by manufacturers and a major retailer of various popular supplements.
- Defended manufacturer of popular pre-workout supplement in multiple class actions alleging that product was unsafe and falsely advertised.
- Defended a national retailer of nutritional supplements in multiple consumer fraud and unfair business practices class actions concerning product quality.
- Regularly representing a national personal care products manufacturer in consumer class action and related matters.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of all claims against an inventory services company in a consumer class action alleging fraud and conspiracy in connection with an alleged recall of certain pharmaceutical products.
- Defended a manufacturer of Bluetooth headsets in federal multidistrict false advertising and unfair business practices class actions alleging failure to warn consumers of hearing loss risk.
- Defended a printer manufacturer in a private attorney general action alleging misleading print speed ratings.
- Defended a prescription drug manufacturer in a products liability class action alleging misleading labeling.
- Defended a major real estate management company in several tenant class actions challenging its application and security deposit practices.