Doreen Martin's practice includes white-collar criminal defense, corporate and Title IX investigations, and complex commercial litigation. A former New York State prosecutor, Ms. Martin has extensive trial and appellate experience.
Government Enforcement Actions: Ms. Martin has advised and represented public companies and individuals in civil and criminal government enforcement actions, including actions brought by the United States Attorney's Office and the New York Attorney General's Office.
Corporate Investigations: Ms. Martin has conducted internal investigations on behalf of corporate management, audit committees, and special committees of the board of directors for companies in the insurance, retail, financial services, and logistics industries.
Title IX Investigations: Ms. Martin has conducted investigations for educational institutions involving allegations of sexual misconduct and violations of Title VI and Title IX. She has developed and revised policies and procedures for educational institutions in compliance with federal and state laws, including Title IX, FERPA, the Clery Act, and Article 129-B of the New York Education Law.
Civil Litigation: Ms. Martin handles all aspects of complex civil litigation in federal and state courts, including civil RICO actions, securities fraud, and products liability defense.
- Conducted an investigation for a liberal arts college in Virginia in connection with six separate student complaints alleging numerous Title VI and Title IX violations. Recommended revisions to existing Title IX and anti-discrimination and harassment policies and procedures in compliance with federal and state laws.
- Conducted an investigation for a liberal arts college in New York in connection with allegations that a faculty member was sexually assaulted by another faculty member at a conference off-campus.
- Represented a monoline insurer in litigation concerning representations and warranties that were made in connection with the issuance of residential mortgage-backed securities.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a mobile technology company in connection with whistleblower allegations that business unit salesmen were negotiating inappropriate side deals and receiving kickbacks from certain telecommunications carriers.
- Represented an electrical supply company in a DOJ investigation involving structuring and money laundering offenses.
- Advised a law school in New York in connection with allegations that a student was sexually assaulted by another student on campus.
- Represented a national restaurant chain in a New York Attorney General investigation involving violations of various consumer protection statutes.
- Advised an educational institution in connection with allegations that the director of the school's residency program harassed and intimidated students.
- Represented an educational institution in a discrimination claim based on race and national origin in violation of the New York State Human Rights Law.
- Drafted a Sexual Misconduct Policy and revised student, faculty, and employee handbooks for a law school in New York.
- Represented a freight forwarding company in an action brought by DOJ for export control violations.
- Defended a doctor in a criminal action brought by DOJ involving Medicare/Medicaid fraud.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a national weekly magazine publisher in connection with whistleblower allegations of fraud and embezzlement.
- Represented a pharmaceutical manufacturing company in a civil investigation concerning allegations regarding cGMP violations and conduct involving the Federal Food Drug and Cosmetic Act.
- Advised and defended a nonprofit credit counseling company in a class action lawsuit alleging violations of various consumer protection statutes.
- Defended former directors and officers of an international manufacturing company in connection with Civil RICO and fraud claims.
- Advised and defended an employee of an airline repair company in a DOJ investigation involving FCPA violations.
- Advised and defended two debt settlement companies in actions brought by the New York Attorney General’s Office for violations of consumer protection statutes.
- Conducted an internal investigation for a financial services company in connection with federal and state investigations into student loan industry payment practices.
- Defended and secured a dismissal in a failure to warn claim against a pharmaceutical company.
Ms. Martin is the Hiring Partner in the New York office of Venable. She also serves on the firm’s Pro Bono and Diversity Committees.