As recent press reports have highlighted, nonprofits are not immune from employee fraud and embezzlement. In fact, they may be more susceptible than their for-profit counterparts. Using recent, actual incidents as case studies, this Legal Quick Hit will explore why nonprofits so often fall victim to employee fraud and embezzlement, along with simple steps that every nonprofit can take to protect itself.
Topics of discussion will include, among others:
- Typical fraudulent schemes perpetrated against nonprofits
- The importance of multiple approvals and segregation of duties
- Effective compliance programs for nonprofits
- What to do if a problem arises
- The IRS Form 990 and the duty to disclose
William H. Devaney, Esq., Partner, Co-Chair of the Anti-Corruption Practice, Venable LLP, and a former federal prosecutor
This event is open to ACC members only. Please visit ACC's website if interested in membership.