Update: This event has already occurred. Please click above to listen to and view the recorded webinar, click here to view presentation materials from the event, and visit our Venable LLP Nonprofit YouTube channel to listen to and view all of our recorded webinars on nonprofit legal topics.
Learn the real stories behind the headlines and the aggressive efforts by federal and state regulators—as well as private charity watchdog groups—to look more closely at charities and their use of professional fundraising contractors. Even the best actors can get caught: regulatory enforcement agencies and others increasingly expect charities to use due diligence when selecting contractors and strong controls over charitable solicitations and money handling. Contractors, in turn, must have internal compliance controls and more transparency. And many contractors—such as event planners and telephone service providers—often do not realize they are regulated by the many charity legal regimes. The list of "regulators" is long and includes federal agencies such as the FTC, CFPB, and IRS; state attorneys general; local government police and attorneys; and private watchdog groups such as Charity Navigator, GuideStar, the BBB Wise Giving Alliance, and CharityWatch. So proactive preparation and management is key. Learn more about:
- Trends in enforcement against charities and professional fundraising contractors at the federal and state levels
- How charities and contractors can navigate the matrix of laws, regulations, and best practices to develop a workable and successful approach to obtaining and maintaining "compliance"
- How a charity can select and manage a contractor that solicits donations and/or manages collections
- What the watchdog groups are targeting and sharing with regulators
- How new technology approaches are being used to share information and analyze data to target charities and contractors
12:00 p.m. - 12:30 p.m. ET - Networking Luncheon
12:30 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. ET - Program/Webinar
Anita K. Drummond, Esq., Counsel, Nonprofit Organizations Practice, Venable LLP
Eric S. Berman, Esq., Counsel, Nonprofit Organizations Practice, Venable LLP
Atitaya C. Rok, Esq., Associate, Nonprofit Organizations Practice, Venable LLP