Update: This event has already occurred. Please click above to listen to and view the recorded webinar and visit our Venable LLP Nonprofit YouTube channel to listen to and view all of our recorded webinars on nonprofit legal topics.
With the 2018 election cycle underway, now is the perfect time to learn ways that your organization can be more involved in the political process while still complying with tax and campaign finance laws. This luncheon will address activities for 501(c)(3)s, (4)s, (5)s, and (6)s and help to identify meaningful ways that your organization can maximize its impact during this critical election year.
This session will cover:
- Political Activity. We will discuss how you can support candidates—through contributions, fundraisers, and independent expenditures—and share best practices for funding your efforts. We will also help you understand the limits on political activity by nonprofits, while highlighting what effective nonprofits have been able to accomplish on even the most modest budgets, and how to approach multi-state efforts.
- 501(c)(3) Opportunities. There are many ways a 501(c)(3) can be active without violating the prohibition on "campaign intervention." We will discuss candidate debates and forums, executive activity, get-out-the-vote activities, and issue ads. Organizations can make a difference without jeopardizing their tax-exempt status.
- 501(c)(4) Opportunities. Politically-active social welfare groups have become a major force in state and federal elections. We will discuss the opportunities and risks for these organizations, and growing state efforts to regulate and require transparency of so-called "dark money."
- PAC Development. Learn how your organization can best operate and grow a PAC.
- State and Local Activity. Learn where you can use your PAC or make corporate contributions. We will discuss traps for the unwary regarding corporate contributions, such as blackout periods during legislative sessions, requirements for board authorization, and donor reporting. We will also discuss how nonprofits can initiate and drive ballot referenda, and recent state enforcement actions in this area.
12:00 p.m. - 12:30 p.m. ET - Networking Luncheon
12:30 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. ET - Program/Video Webinar
Cindy M. Lewin, Partner, Nonprofit Organizations Practice, Venable LLP
Visit the registration page to RSVP to this event.