On July 1, 2019, the District of Columbia will begin collecting payroll taxes from all employers covered under DC's newest employee leave law, the Universal Paid Leave Amendment Act of 2016 (UPLA). The UPLA will go into full effect one year later, on July 1, 2020, and will provide DC employees with some of the most generous paid family leave benefits in the nation. The UPLA will provide eligible employees paid leave to bond with a newborn or adopted child, to care for the employee's own serious health condition, or to care for the serious health condition of the employee's covered family members. Unlike some other DC laws, the UPLA will apply to virtually all DC employers, including nonprofits.
This program will cover what you need to know about the UPLA and how it will interact with DC's paid sick leave law, the federal and DC Family and Medical Leave Act, and any paid parental leave and/or short-term disability leave benefits your organization may offer. Specifically, our panel of employment attorneys will discuss these and other questions:
- Which organizations are covered by the UPLA?
- What are the eligibility criteria for employees seeking leave?
- How much and what type of leave may eligible employees take?
- What are the procedural steps employees will need to satisfy before taking leave?
- How does the UPLA interact with other leave required in DC, including DC sick leave and federal and DC FMLA leave?
- How does the UPLA interact with short-term disability benefits, paid parental leave, and other leave benefits offered by nonprofits?
- How is the payroll tax structured, and how much will eligible employees receive from the District?
- What are your organization's notice and recordkeeping requirements?
- What are the potential penalties and consequences for noncompliance?
- What are some practical steps your organization can take to prepare?
Through an application of real-life examples, the panel will discuss best practices, explore common pitfalls, and highlight areas of particular risk to nonprofit organizations. As always, participants will have an opportunity to ask questions and inquire about challenges specific to their organization.
12:00 p.m. - 12:30 p.m. ET - Networking Luncheon
12:30 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. ET - Program/Video Webinar