Political activity and federal election campaign law.
Venable attorneys are extremely well versed in the federal and state laws and regulations governing political activity, including both election and tax laws.
We help our clients interpret and comply with the complex, ever-changing web of federal and state requirements in this area, and also provide training to their staff and others. For instance, we work with The College Board, the Entertainment Software Association, the Recording Industry Association of America and the Independent Insurance Agents and Brokers of America in this regard. We are also frequent lecturers, authors and commentators on these issues.
We regularly counsel nonprofit clients regarding:
- the establishment and operation of federal and state PACs;
- federal and state laws governing political communications, contributions and other political activity;
- federal and state lobbying registration and reporting requirements;
- the federal lobbying tax law affecting association membership dues deductibility;
- federal tax limitations on lobbying by 501(c)(3) organizations; and
- federal and state ethics and gift rules.