Dan Silverman has a track record of success litigating a broad spectrum of complex commercial and intellectual property matters for clients in both state and federal court throughout the country. Specifically, Mr. Silverman has extensive experience litigating consumer class actions in the context of false advertising and privacy statutes, as well as a wide range of other business torts and contract disputes. He also has substantial experience litigating intellectual property disputes, including trade secret and patent and trademark infringement disputes.
Mr. Silverman is also a seasoned trial attorney who has successfully tried to verdict or arbitration award more than two dozen disputes. He is skilled at distilling complex facts to the key kernels of information that will resonate with and persuade the judge or jury.
Mr. Silverman is mindful of his clients’ bottom line. To that end, he gears his litigation strategy toward assuring that his clients’ desired outcome is met in a cost efficient manner. This includes resolving disputes through early motion practice as well as utilizing various alternative dispute resolution techniques early in the litigation. He is also known for thinking of creative, outside-the-box approaches to settling cases.
Prior to joining Venable, Mr. Silverman was Associate General Counsel at Roll Law Group, a captive in-house law firm to ten companies, largely in the food and beverage industry. Literally standing in the "clients' shoes" led him to fully appreciate what they look for in outside counsel, including the need to deeply understand the clients’ business, handle matters efficiently and resolve disputes creatively.
Mr. Silverman has represented a diverse spectrum of companies, ranging from food and beverage companies such as Fiji Water, POM Wonderful, Philip Morris and Sara Lee, to technology companies such as QUALCOMM, Kyocera, Microsoft, Sony Electronics, Seagate Technology, Iomega and Thomson Multimedia.
- Represented dietary supplement companies in false advertising class actions alleging false and misleading product claims.
- Represented homeopathic drug companies in false advertising class actions contesting efficacy of products.
- Represented bottled water company in class actions arising out of alleged environmental marketing claims.
- Represented beverage company in dozens of nationwide and various state and consumer class actions arising out of health claim advertising.
- Represented companies in class actions in which companies were accused of violating California's Invasion of Privacy Act, also known as the two-party consent electronic recording statute.
- Represented companies in class actions brought under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, a federal statute that prohibits telephone solicitations and use of automatic telephone dialing systems, artificial or prerecorded voice messages and text messages without prior expressed consent.
- Represented telecommunications company in billion dollar class action brought by former employees alleging entitlement to accelerated vesting of unvested stock options.
- Represented computer software company in antitrust overcharge class action
- Represented juice company in false advertising disputes involving juice labeling.
- Represented consumer products company in dozens of trademark infringement and anti-piracy suits across the country involving the sale of counterfeit goods.
- Represented telecommunications company in patent infringement suit against major competitor.
- Represented telecommunications company in patent infringement suit involving wireless communication handset technology.
- Represented high technology company in patent infringement suit involving technology used to make hard disc drives.
- Represented consumer entertainment company in patent infringement litigation involving parental control technology in televisions.
- Represented software company in trade secret litigation alleging theft of confidential software by former employees.
- Represented former marketing director in suit alleging theft of trade secrets by flashlight manufacturer.