Update: This event has already occurred. Please click above to listen to and view the recorded webinar, click here to view presentation materials from the event, and visit our Venable LLP Nonprofit YouTube channel to listen to and view all of our recorded webinars on nonprofit legal topics.
With major issues pending before Congress and state legislatures and the 2012 elections looming, your nonprofit is more likely than ever to be involved in both the political and lobbying processes. This session will help you to learn how to be involved and how to remain compliant with the law.
During the first half of the seminar, we will cover some of the basics for lobbying by nonprofits, including:
- Tax implications for 501(c)(6) organizations
- Tax limits on 501(c)(3) organizations
- Disclosing lobbying activities at the state and federal level
- Developing a compliance program for handling gift and ethics rules
We will then switch gears in the second half to discuss campaign-related issues. Super PACs, independent expenditures, secret donors, corporate contributions, and involvement by nonprofits in those efforts have been a major focus of the 2012 primary and will only grow during the run-up to the 2012 general election. We will explain the landscape for nonprofits:
- What is a super PAC—what does one do, how is it funded, what does it disclose?
- How can a nonprofit work with a super PAC?
- What do nonprofits need to know about doing their own independent expenditures?
- What about 501(c)(3)s?