Update: This event has already occurred. Please click here for an audio recording of the program, click here to view the presentation materials from the event, and visit our Venable LLP Nonprofit YouTube channel to listen to and view all of our the recorded webinars on nonprofit legal topics.
This workshop is presented by the Education and Research Foundation of the Better Business Bureau of Metropolitan New York, and sponsored and hosted by Venable LLP.
Key Legal Issues & Common Pitfalls
Nonprofit fundraising touches upon a wide variety of key legal issues, many of which may be unfamiliar. In the highly competitive funding environment, it is critical for nonprofit leaders to understand regulatory requirements and other legal matters related to raising money. This program will highlight important legal considerations and common pitfalls, including:
- Charitable solicitation registration responsibilities;
- Best practices and legal requirements in hiring a professional fundraiser;
- Commercial co-venturer (cause-related marketing) regulatory requirements and new initiatives; and
- Federal tax implications for fundraising.
Intellectual Property Concerns in New Media Channels
Nonprofit fundraising also raises intellectual property concerns, including allowing others to use your organization's name and logo in solicitations and promotions. This program will discuss ways in which nonprofits can ensure that when asking for funds, the value of the organization’s intellectual property is protected and infringement of others’ intellectual property is avoided. It will cover some IP basics, as well as emerging online and social media issues, including:
- How to protect copyright-protected materials if posted on Facebook;
- Intellectual property considerations on Pinterest;
- Updates on the law when using Twitter;
- Controlling use of the organization’s name and logo on crowd-source fundraising sites such as Crowdrise and Razoo.
$15 per person; pre-registration is required; seating is limited.
To register, please click here.