James J. Hanks, Jr. is a member of the panel "REIT Governance, and Activism" at Practising Law Institute's Real Estate M&A and REIT Transaction 2017 program. This day-long program takes an in-depth look at industry trends, along with key recent transactions, and helps attendees navigate the complex structures, legal frameworks and dynamics of the current REIT environment.
Key topics covered by the panel include:
- Invoking Maryland Unsolicited Takeover Act provisions and the opt-in / opt-out decision
- What is "good corporate governance" in the REIT industry?
- Will activists play an even greater role in public REITs? Will proxy advisory firms?
- Shareholder engagement in the REIT space
- Board composition at public REITs
- Ownership limitation provisions – do they serve as anti-takeover devices?
- Maryland General Corporation Law vs. other jurisdictions
Visit the Real Estate M&A and REIT Transactions 2017 event page for more information.