In October 2022, Caryn Pass and Janice Gregerson presented at the Southern Association of Independent Schools (SAIS) 2022 Annual Conference. The session, “Managing Risk: Hot Legal Issues,” covered various legal issues and risk management strategies faced by newly appointed heads of schools.
- Understanding various leadership roles
- Issues to be addressed by the board
- The school’s role and responsibility in addressing allegations of student conduct issues (this includes framing conduct policies, investigation procedure, and overall community impact)
- Legal issues involved in managing student and employee mental health
- Recent changes in the law that affect independent school operations (including the interpretation and implications of federal financial assistance)
- Legal liability and reputational risk assessment and management