Jami Vibbert and Thora Johnson published "Top Five Privacy and Data Security Issues Facing Healthcare Companies" in the November 6, 2017, issue of Bloomberg BNA's Health IT Law & Industry Report. Here is an excerpt:
No two health care companies are alike, but many face similar challenges when managing their data risk. Many of these challenges arise due to the competing desires with which every modern organization now struggles—one between innovation and growth on the one hand and compliance and legal risk on the other. Specifically, the following five issues are top of mind:
- The tension between data growth and analytics and data minimization;
- Handling connected devices and mobile apps;
- Creating effective cross-functional privacy and security teams;
- The data implications of acquisitions; and
- Effective and tiered vendor management.