We have a long history of advising entrepreneurs and disruptive companies. In fact, some of our biggest clients today were early-stage emerging companies when we first started representing them 10 and 20 years ago. We provide our growth company clients practical business savvy and cost-efficient advice. Our clients are our partners, and we take it to heart that no one wants "ivory tower" advice. We strive to identify key issues in a timely manner and engage you every step of the way as a partner.
Clients receive the benefits of a boutique law firm experience, with access to all of the resources of a globally recognized, full-service law firm.
Our integrated service allows clients to call on senior, experienced attorneys who are familiar with the client's products, technology, and industries and who regularly work with game-changing companies – including a number of us who have served in senior legal and business roles inside these companies.
What we do
Whether our clients are raising capital, hiring and nurturing talent, dealing with regulatory issues or litigation, protecting or defending intellectual property, negotiating important contracts, structuring the business to optimize tax considerations, or growing by acquisition or international expansion, we are there to help – calling upon the talents of our 600+ attorneys across the nation. We are trusted outside general counsel, managing all issues that may arise.
We represent clients that are first to market with disruptive products, services, or technologies. Together with our colleagues from our nationally recognized regulatory practice, we help our clients navigate the always challenging regulatory and legislative environment.
Focus on the company
Unlike firms that have large venture fund practices, the Venable Growth Companies Practice’s core focus is on companies and their founders, not the financing sources. While we are always thinking about appropriate introductions to funds and other investors, our company clients know that they are our top priority.
A catalyst for the entrepreneurial ecosystem
We focus on being a central part of the national entrepreneurial ecosystem. We proudly support, both financially and through coaching, mentoring, and/or legal advice, an array of organizations in our communities that assist early- and later-stage growth companies. Some of the organizations we support include:
- BioHealth Innovations – Maryland’s commercialization collaborative for biohealth and medical companies
- Mid-Atlantic Venture Association (MAVA) – The leading platform for growth in the Mid-Atlantic region and beyond
- SkyDeck – UC Berkley Accelerator
- Springboard Enterprises – The organization where influencers, investors, and innovators meet to build great women-led businesses, including 627 women-led companies that have raised $7.4 billion, including 13 IPOs
- TEDCO – Maryland’s state economic impact fund supporting early-stage companies
- Latin America Private Equity & Venture Capital Association (LAVCA) – LAVCA is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to supporting the growth of private equity and venture capital in Latin America and the Caribbean. With assets in excess of US$60 billion, over 170 member firms are focused on capitalizing and growing Latin American businesses and connections to the U.S. market
Core Services for Our Growth Clients
- Equity and debt financing
- M&A, corporate transactions, and related tax guidance
- Regulatory and legislative advice
- Corporate & stakeholder governance
- IP protection and counselling
- Technology/IP transactions and collaborative agreements
- Important commercial agreements
- Litigation, including business disputes
- Employment and benefits
- International expansion planning
- Wealth planning