Our firm has been a trusted adviser to numerous family offices and asset managers for many years, providing sound advice and pragmatic solutions to the complications that can arise in the context of wealth management, estate planning, governance, corporate matters, and securities.
We are committed to preserving and increasing the assets built by families and multigenerational businesses – we represent single-family, multiple-family, and commercial family offices. We also advise family offices set up to manage the interests of individuals in the entertainment and sports industries.
Our family office clients range from multi-million-dollar organizations with little or no full-time staff to complex, multifaceted organizations with a large number of employees and billions of dollars in net worth. We offer them the same skills and marketplace intelligence we use to assist institutional stakeholders with their investments, including our proficiency with private equity funds, REITs, publicly traded partnerships, and debt and equity investments.
Family offices are players of growing importance in the transactional area. In response to this changing landscape, many are building sophisticated internal teams capable of executing and managing investments. These teams are increasing their direct and indirect investments in operating companies. Our lawyers are working closely with family offices to make direct investments in companies and in private equity and hedge funds.
Our lawyers have advised family offices on:
- Complex tax and estate planning
- Wealth protection strategies
- Family governance and succession planning
- Investment due diligence
- Acquisitions and LP investments in private equity and hedge funds
- Entity and asset pooling for investment purposes
- State and federal securities regulatory compliance
- Charitable giving
- Trust management
- Dispute resolution
- Real estate acquisition and development
- Insurance strategies and risk management
- Family privacy and intellectual property protection
- International transactions
- Reputation management
- Liability analysis and protection
- Creation and management of a family office foundation
- Creation of a family bank that will give equal opportunity to all family members
Privacy and data security present some of the biggest problems facing family offices. As a firm, we have a group of lawyers and non-lawyers who are dedicated to advising clients on all aspects of cybersecurity.
Drawing on practitioners throughout the firm who work closely with our clients’ wealth managers, accountants, and insurance experts, Venable offers a comprehensive, highly responsive, and holistic approach to serving family offices, and we pride ourselves on the relationships we build with them.