U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- J.D., cum laude, Pepperdine University School of Law, 1994
- B.A., English Literature, cum laude, California State University, Northridge, 1991
Los Angeles County Bar Association
Daniel P. Hoffer
Dan Hoffer is chair of the firm's West Coast Labor and Employment Practice Group. He is an experienced and accomplished litigator, focusing his practice on all aspects of employment law, and individual and complex commercial litigation. In addition to representing companies and individuals in a variety of industries, Mr. Hoffer regularly represents high-profile entertainment executives and talent in disputes involving breach of contract, fraud, defamation, trade secrets, conversion, interference, and related torts. Mr. Hoffer has successfully litigated hundreds of lawsuits in both state and federal court, and before administrative agencies, including the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Separately, Mr. Hoffer is a trusted strategist and advisor, adept at counseling on litigation avoidance techniques. He routinely advises clients in a wide array of industries, including media and entertainment, financial services, real estate, retail, and communications. He has overseen and coordinated nationwide reductions in workforce and is proficient at drafting employment-related documents, including governance and compliance policies, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements, executive employment agreements, and employee policy manuals.
Mr. Hoffer previously served with distinction as a special agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Advice, Counseling and Compliance
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a public figure in invasion of privacy action raising novel questions regarding vicarious liability and ratification.
- On behalf of global law firm, obtained dismissal of ousted partner's wrongful termination complaint.
- On behalf of the former General Counsel of a national mortgage lender, secured a seven-figure jury verdict in a breach of employment contract action.
- Certified as class counsel on behalf of more than 1,000 current and former employees seeking unpaid wages and business expenses.
- On behalf of a national media and entertainment company, obtained motion for summary judgment against on-air talent's discrimination and related claims.
- On behalf of an industrial supplies manufacturer, defeated, via dispositive motion, contract and fraud cross-claims brought by former co-owner, resulting in favorable resolution of lawsuit.
- Defeated class certification of unpaid wage claims brought by current and former employees in a wide variety of industries, including automobile services, retail and convenience, and food delivery.
- Defeated employment claims in numerous arbitrations and administrative hearings conducted on behalf of clients representing the media and entertainment, manufacturing, healthcare, and retail industries.
- On behalf of a national media and entertainment company, defeated, via dispositive motion, trade secret, interference, and related claims brought by a former advertiser.
- On behalf of a national media and entertainment company, defeated a radio broadcaster's application for preliminary injunction; subsequently defeated, via dispositive motion, the broadcaster's contract and fraud claims.
- On behalf of an insurance brokerage, obtained dismissal through appeal of interference and related tort claims brought by the brokerage's client's insured.
- On behalf of cosmetics manufacturer, defeated breach of contract claim asserted by supplier of automatic tube filling and sealing machine; negotiated favorable resolution of client's cross-claims.
- Oversaw and prepared documents necessary to affect nationwide reduction in force for a national media and entertainment company.
- Drafted pre-employment background and hiring guidelines for an international financial services company.
- Drafted pre-employment drug screening policy for a national manufacturing company.