We represent actors, writers, directors, producers, athletes, musical artists, influencers, executives, representatives, and talent-driven companies in all manner of business transactions and entrepreneurial ventures.
Our entertainment transactions practice has been talent-focused since our Los Angeles office opened in 2006, with all of the attorneys in our Los Angeles office serving clients in the entertainment industry. Our corporate attorneys draw upon the expertise of their colleagues across all of our national practice groups as needed to deliver comprehensive, expert, and efficient service.
- M&A – We represent founders, private equity firms, production companies, management companies, and other entertainment companies in purchase and sale transactions
- Joint Ventures – We represent content creators and their strategic partners in joint ventures to produce and exploit film, television, and digital projects
- Capital Raising – We represent entertainment companies at all stages of development in common equity, preferred equity, and other financing transactions, and we represent lenders, private equity firms, strategic investors, and other investors
- Startups – We advise on whether new businesses should be formed as limited liability companies, “S” corporations, or “C” corporations in light of operational needs and exit strategies
- Structuring – We provide ongoing tax counseling and transaction structuring to established businesses, helping them to benefit from state-level tax incentives for entertainment productions and preferred (long-term capital gains) tax rates when selling interests
- Wealth Planning – We counsel founders and other high-net-worth individuals in the formation of specialized trusts to mitigate or altogether eliminate tax liability at state and federal levels, including income tax and wealth transfer taxes
- Trademark – We counsel celebrity-backed ventures and other start-ups on how to choose trademarks that will provide the best brand protection, we prosecute marks with the PTO, and we vigorously defend them against infringement
- Endorsements – We advise brands, celebrities, and influencers on all aspects of NIL licensing, social media promotion, and endorsement services
- Marketing – We provide ongoing advice to brands regarding rules and regulations promulgated by the FTC and other government authorities that are applicable to their DTC and other marketing efforts
- Employment – We advise companies, founders, and senior executives in the negotiation of high-level employment agreements.
- Incentives – We advise corporations, limited liability companies, and service providers regarding equity grants, stock options, profit interests, phantom interests, RSUs, sale bonuses, and other incentives.
- Mobility – We advise acquirers and founders regarding non-competition and other restrictive covenants in connection with M&A transactions, and we advise companies and employees regarding mobility issues.
Blockchain and Digital Assets
- Market Intelligence – We regularly counsel clients in the creation and exploitation of NFTs and other digital assets, allowing us to stay ahead of the curve in this rapidly changing space.
- Regulatory Expertise – We stay on top of legislative and regulatory developments applicable to tokens and cryptocurrencies, including complex questions arising under the securities laws and other applicable laws.
- Intellectual Property – We have deep expertise in blockchain technology, and in how to protect intellectual property rights on blockchain platforms.