Update: This event has already occurred. Please click above to listen to and view the recorded webinar click here to view presentation materials from the event, and visit our Venable LLP Nonprofit YouTube channel to listen to and view all of our recorded webinars on nonprofit legal topics.
A recent and unprecedented law enforcement action brought by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), all 50 states, and the District of Columbia against four nonprofit, tax-exempt organizations and their executives illustrates that federal and state government regulators are watching nonprofits with an increasingly attentive eye. This climate applies not only to the veterans and cancer charities that have long been on enforcers' radar, but to all nonprofits—public charities, private foundations, industry trade associations, and others—along with their for-profit partners and professional fundraisers. Being dedicated to your mission is important; being cognizant of and complying with the "rules of the road" for best nonprofit practices is equally important.
This informative and timely program will be led by experienced lawyers and regulators who have been "in the trenches" with nonprofits facing a government investigation. Our panelists will include lead defense counsel in high-profile actions and one of the most respected state regulators from the country’s most active charity enforcement agencies. Specific topics that will be addressed include:
- Best practices for helping to promote legal compliance and avoiding regulators' radar
- Identifying red flags that may generate FTC, CFPB or federal agency IG scrutiny, in addition to state AG interest
- Strategic considerations and best practices when responding to an investigation
- Factors enforcers consider when deciding whether to bring an action, and when deciding whether to accept a settlement
- How government investigations can and have targeted all types of nonprofits, from charities to advocacy groups, international NGOs, and trade and professional associations