On December 4, Rob Hartwell, joined a panel of skilled legal professionals at CDIA. The panel, consisting of Kim Phan, partner, Ballard Spahr LLP, and Eric J. Ellman, senior vice president of public policy and legal affairs at CDIA, discussed the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), which took effect on January 1, 2020.
Discussion topics included:
- Who is covered and who is not?
- Exemptions and how they relate to federal financial privacy laws
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act
- Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Driver's Privacy Protection Act
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
- Updating your internal and external policies and procedures
- Data mapping
- Arbitration provisions
- Vendor contracts and renewals
- What is considered a sale under CCPA
- Customer service training
- CCPA's influence on state and federal privacy legislation