Larry Norton is Chair of Venable's Government Division, which includes more than 150 lawyers and lobbyists in the regulatory, government contracts, legislative, and state and local government practice areas. He also co-chairs the firm’s Political Law Group and advises clients regarding federal and state campaign finance and other election laws, gifts to government officials, and lobbying registration and disclosure.
Mr. Norton’s clients include large and small corporations and their PACs, nonprofit organizations, trade associations, Super PACs, ballot committees, and politically-active individuals. He assists clients with a wide range of matters including:
- Conducting compliance audits of federal and state lobbying and political programs, and training for government affairs professionals and other key personnel;
- Establishing and operating PACs, Super PACs, 501(c) organizations, and ballot committees;
- Assisting nonprofit organizations with corporate governance and tax matters, contracts, communications programs (traditional and social media), and political activity and lobbying;
- Advising government contractors on “pay-to-play” laws, which restrict political contributions by contractors as well as their affiliated entities and principals;
- Representing clients in government audits, civil and criminal investigations, and matters before the U.S. House and Senate Ethics Committees;
- Pre-clearing political contributions, as well as personal and corporate fundraising; and
- Preparing and filing campaign finance and lobbying reports.
From 2001-2007, Mr. Norton served as General Counsel for the Federal Election Commission, where he directed the agency's enforcement, litigation, and rulemaking programs. Prior to his tenure at the FEC, he served as Associate Director in the Division of Enforcement at the Commodity Futures Trading Commission and at the Federal Trade Commission as Assistant Director in the Bureau of Consumer Protection. Before joining the federal government, Mr. Norton served as a Maryland Assistant Attorney General in the Civil Litigation Division. He began his legal career at Venable as a litigation associate.
Mr. Norton has been selected for inclusion by Chambers USA
(Government: Political Law - Nationwide) and has been repeatedly recognized as a top election and ethics lawyer by Washingtonian Magazine
and Super Lawyers