Heather Mitchell is a seasoned litigator with extensive experience representing businesses in complex commercial litigation, including contract disputes, trust and estate litigation, education law, internal corporate investigations and matters arising under the federal securities laws. Heather is a trusted advisor to her clients. She assists individuals and businesses to resolve disputes, whether personal or professional, in the most efficient and effective manner possible. Whether that means resolving a disagreement before litigation arises, or taking the fight to a jury verdict, she provides counsel and expertise at every step. She is an effective communicator who ensures that her clients' needs are understood and effectuated.
Heather has successfully tried cases before juries and judges to verdict. She served as a law clerk to Judge Benson E. Legg, Retired, of the United States District Court for the District of Maryland and regularly practices in that Court. She has also represented clients in matters in the Maryland state courts, as well as federal courts in Florida, Pennsylvania, and California.
In her practice, Heather regularly takes and defends depositions; argues motions and other matters before courts; and counsels clients on litigation strategy. She is also responsible for overall management of large commercial disputes, including communicating and negotiating with opposing counsel regarding, among other things, case scheduling, case management, protective orders and settlement terms; communicating with clients regarding factual development of a case; drafting motions and other papers submitted to the court; managing the collection, review and production of hundreds of thousands of documents; dealing with vendors involved in the electronic discovery process; and supervising associates and paralegals in the review of documents, the drafting of motions and the discovery responses.
Professional and Community Involvement:
- Heather currently serves as President of the Board of Directors of Baltimore County's Court Appointed Special Advocates for Children, which is a non-profit group that recruits and trains volunteers to serve as advocates for children in the Baltimore County foster system
- Heather currently serves on the Board of Maryland Humanities, a non-profit organization dedicated to life-long learning in the humanities
- Heather currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Baltimore Curriculum Project, a non-profit organization that runs five charter schools in Maryland
- Heather was hand-selected by the former United States Attorney General and Venable partner Benjamin Civiletti to assist him with his service as the Chair of the Maryland Commission on Capital Punishment. In that role, Heather assisted with selection of witnesses to testify before the Commission, interacted with all members of the Commission, conducted extensive research on Maryland's use of the death penalty and wrote two portions of the Commission's final report
- Between 2007 and 2009, Heather raised over $20,000 for Team in Training Hike, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Hike Program, to help fight leukemia in honor of my step-father, the late Senator Bob Kittleman
- Heather served on the Howard County Republican Central Committee from 2007-2011