Venable is often called upon to provide counsel on brand-management issues, including enforcement of brand names within domain names, social media, adwords/keywords, phishing, false blogging, and other online brand identity theft, such as the sale of counterfeit goods in online auctions and the use of brand names in virtual-reality worlds. Our attorneys are well versed in the latest cyber trends that can pose a threat to your brands.
Prevention begins with a system for monitoring the misuse of your brand in cyberspace. We can help you determine best practices for selecting and enforcing domain names, managing and updating domain-name policies, working with domain-name management services, and dealing with search engines.
Venable attorneys have recovered hundreds of domain names around the world through inter partes proceedings. We have resolved domain-name disputes under the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers’ (ICANN) Uniform Domain Dispute Resolution Policy and in lawsuits under the federal Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act. In other cases, we have utilized demand letters and negotiations to achieve our clients’ goals. Venable also works closely with our legislative advisors on initiatives to combat Internet brand problems, such as the online sale of counterfeits.
- Copyright registration
- Licensing and purchase/sale of copyrighted material
- Litigating copyright disputes
- Reproduction rights
- Resolving infringement issues
- Resolving ownership disputes
- Searching copyright records to determine ownership and protectability
- Work-for-hire agreements, assignments and releases
- Clearance counseling
- Customs recordations
- Infringement issues
- Litigation, U.S. and worldwide
- Technology transfers and corporate transactions
- Trademark prosecution, U.S. and worldwide
- Domain name best practices
- False search-engine placement
- ICANN policies
- Internet auctions of counterfeits
- Keyword issues
- Online threats to brands
- Recouping misappropriated names