Venable tax attorneys have devoted their careers to mastering the intricacies of tax law. Shaping and interpreting new tax laws are particular strengths of our tax team.
- Working with Venable's legislative professionals, we develop and implement tax legislative strategies to advance our clients' interests. Those strategies can involve developing legislative initiatives, advocating changes to existing legislation, or supporting (or opposing) legislation pending before Congress
- Our team drafts and prepares comments on behalf of individual clients, industry groups, and trade associations on proposed regulations and rules
- We represent clients before the Internal Revenue Service seeking private-letter rulings, technical advice, or other guidance
Relationships with Key Members of Congress and Their Staff
Venable attorneys are well positioned to bring the views and interests of clients to the attention of key members and staff of the House and Senate, given their prior service on Capitol Hill as staff members to congressional committees with responsibility for tax policy.
Tailored Approach to Achieving Client Goals
Regardless of your particular policy concerns, Venable attorneys always focus on designing creative and flexible strategies. We recognize that some solutions require legislative action by Congress, while others are better suited for a Treasury Department or IRS audience. The strategies we recommend may include mounting a campaign of legislative advocacy, drafting proposed legislation, promoting changes to existing legislation, or endorsing specific positions on pending legislation. We engage with Administration officials in the Executive Branch as well as the Treasury Department and IRS on administrative policy and rulemaking matters.
On Capitol Hill and at the Treasury Department, Venable attorneys are well known and respected for presenting practical, well-thought-out suggestions for new legislation and solutions for resolving issues in tax-policy implementation.
Positioning U.S. Companies for Global Competitiveness
Many of our clients are U.S.-based companies that compete in global markets. On their behalf, we have frequently and successfully lobbied for tax legislation that helps ensure that they remain competitive with companies based in other tax jurisdictions. In that regard, we have focused both on minimizing the tax impact of new legislation and on reducing the complexity of complying with U.S. tax law.
Who We Are
More than 70 attorneys focused on tax issues, including:
- A former chair of the American Bar Association Tax Section
- Former staff of the IRS Office of Chief Counsel
- Former staff of the Joint Committee on Taxation and the Senate Finance Committee
- Authors of leading tax treatises and numerous articles in premier tax publications