Venable San Francisco's Jill Rowe teamed up with Colliers International on May 27, 2020, to lead a webinar discussing the application of Force Majeure and renegotiations of contracts in the wake of COVID-19 from the perspective of the commercial real-estate market. The webinar was hosted by the San Francisco chapter of the Association for Corporate Growth (ACG).
As real estate professionals across America struggle with the issues presented by the pandemic, Jill and Brendon provided a framework to analyze how the COVID-19 crisis might affect contract performance and to help professionals think creatively about their options for renegotiating business contracts. They also covered the latest developments in the commercial real estate market and offered insights into what the future could hold.
Jill and her co-presenter, Colliers International’s Brendon Kane, also discussed the following topics:
- What is force majeure anyway?
- Similar legal concepts: frustration of purpose/impracticability
- Commercial lease market dynamics in the age of COVID-19
- Negotiating and renegotiating a commercial lease: context, arguments, practical considerations
- Radar alert: legislative changes affecting contract obligations
- Best practices for negotiating and renegotiating business contracts