Venable attorneys have decades of experience representing large and small employers across a wide range of industries in occupational safety and health matters, including defending clients against citations issued by the Occupational Safety & Health Administration and virtually every state plan counterpart in over 40 jurisdictions. Our representation of employers in these matters is enhanced by our success at developing strong relationships with federal and state OSH officials. This is due in large part to the involvement of Venable partner Ronald Taylor in the American Bar Association's Occupational Safety & Health Law Committee, which has included a three year term as management co-chair of the Committee.
When approached by an employer to represent them in an OSHA-related matter, our attorneys work closely with them to assure that the desired result is reached in an effective, cost-efficient manner. We consider not only the potential penalties, but the effect of citations and the cost and implications of any abatement requirements. Thus, we help ensure that the employer fully understands the ramifications of all citations, and is not subjected to burdensome abatement requirements or repeat or willful violations.
Venable attorneys have represented employers in a broad array of OSHA-related matters, including the following:
- successfully defended a nationwide retail employer in OSHA enforcement actions in virtually every state;
- successfully defended a large construction manager against willful violations arising out of the death of a contractor's employee when a tunnel collapsed at Dulles Airport;
- succeeded in obtaining the dismissal of citations issued to a construction company when its tower crane collapsed, resulting in two fatalities;
- defended an electrical contractor against citations issued to it after an accident that resulted in an explosion that seriously burned two employees;
- settled on very favorable terms (including dismissal) several citations on behalf of a national construction contractor that were issued at various locations in Virginia;
- successfully resolved a number of citations for non-construction clients;
- defended citations issued to a major manufacturer following a six month inspection of as chemical plant in Institute, West Virginia;
- handled the first OSHA trial in over a decade in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, and obtained a complete dismissal of electrical violations issued to the client;
- successfully defended a construction contractor from OSHA citations following an explosion that burned employees at a chemical plant in Corpus Christi, Texas; and
- in one case involving willful egregious violations with penalties in excess of $500,000, Venable achieved so successful an outcome that OSHA removed the matter from its list of "significant cases." Significantly, this result was obtained without the need for even a single deposition.
As counsel on OSHA matters to employers across the nation, we are concerned with developing effective strategies and relationships that benefit our clients both pre- and post-enforcement in the occupational safety and health arena. Our decades of experience across a wide range of industries can help you avoid OSHA disputes and defend yourself against citations or violations should they be issued.