Venable provides a one-stop shop to manage the full range of a client’s trademark needs on a global basis, from clearance and filing/prosecution, to enforcement, licensing, and beyond. Our wealth of experience in a wide array of industries and our unique management model set us apart, allowing us to provide clients with a rare combination of competitive pricing and best-in-class quality.
Clients benefit from our innovative mindset, combined with the infrastructure and reach that only a big firm like Venable can provide. Functioning uniquely like a boutique trademark firm within an Am Law 100 general-practice firm, our team is co-led by two partners who have worked together for 20 years. The firm’s other nationally ranked practices give our trademark attorneys constant exposure to a broad array of complex problems. In this way, clients get the best of both worlds: a client-focused approach on issues such as pricing, coupled with big-firm experience and strength.
Our practice is ranked among the most active, creative, and technically proficient in the United States. In addition to our current high rankings in World Trademark Review, Chambers USA, and Legal 500, Venable has for many years ranked among the top 20 law firms for trademark applications filed and registrations obtained in the United States. We have also been ranked as a Tier 1 trademark practice by US News and World Report.
Our team can provide competitive prices because we utilize a blend of attorneys, including trademark counsel, to staff projects effectively and efficiently. Our trademark counsel are non-partner-track attorneys with significant experience who are more economically priced. Each of our top-flight trademark counsel has experience at the USPTO, an in-house background, and/or years of private practice at the nation’s top trademark firms.
Trademark Focus – The Full Range of Work on a Worldwide Basis
- Clearance/searches and brand selection advice
- Obtaining registrations (“prosecution”) and maintaining them
- Large portfolio management
- Bringing and defending oppositions, cancellations, and litigation
- Dispute settlement and mediation
- Initiating and defending enforcement actions to avoid litigation
- Brand protection and ecommerce platform brand enforcement
- Licensing, assignment, corporate transactions, and due diligence
- Trade dress and nontraditional trademarks (e.g., motion and sound marks)
- Domain name policing and enforcement
- Customs and license recordation
- Counseling on all aspects of trademark law