At the core of most transactions today is the need to identify, protect, procure, transfer and/or commercialize intellectual property and other intangible and technology assets. For this essential part of today’s economy, Venable has compiled a team of dedicated attorneys practicing at the convergence of technology and business.
Venable’s Technology Transactions attorneys combine extensive knowledge of the underlying laws with vast practical experience in a variety of technologies and industries—a combination that provides valuable business and legal guidance as clients exploit their intellectual property and technology assets in their business and strategic relationships.
BRINGING TECHNOLOGY AND BUSINESS TOGETHER...IMPROVES BOTH
Our capabilities are broad and deep.
Technology transactions frequently are unique and complex, and involve novel legal issues. Our skills and experience allow us to handle all types of issues and agreements related to technology and outsourcing.
Regardless of the industry or the related technology, we support and shape each deal with a team that understands the client’s business, technology needs and objectives. Thus, whether our client is interested in creating, investing in, licensing, selling or acquiring intellectual property, intangible or technology assets, we help craft an agreement that achieves a successful business relationship while remaining focused on the underlying intellectual property rights or technology concerns.
Leveraging Venable’s breadth of experience in a multitude of practice areas allows us to apply a multidisciplinary approach to the often complex and novel issues associated with technology and outsourcing transactions. We work frequently with other attorneys throughout Venable to address particular issues that often arise in technology and outsourcing settings.
Our core areas of strengths include:
- Licensing. Among our core strengths is our extensive experience in licensing and commercializing technology, intellectual property and other intangible assets, including through complex development, distribution, cross-licensing, marketing and brand extension arrangements.
- Technology transfer. Our team routinely deals with federal- and university-funded research and technology transfer arrangements.
- Outsourcing. We handle all stages of outsourcing and business process re-engineering transactions. By exploiting our representation of both customers and vendors, we can offer a unique insight into the critical issues confronting our clients involved in such arrangements.
- Corporate partnering. Complex partnering, collaboration, joint venture and alliance arrangements are a particular focus of the group. We are also well-versed in handling the complex IP and technology issues that arise in those contexts.
- Mergers and acquisitions. Mergers and acquisitions can involve significant IP and technology-related issues. In this realm we have conducted in-depth IP and technology due diligence, evaluated intangible assets, avoided potential liabilities, corrected chain of title defects, handled rights clearance, prepared ancillary agreements and navigated post-deal IP and technology issues.
- Venture capital and financings. Working closely with Venable’s business transaction attorneys, we regularly advise on technology and IP issues affecting capital market and private equity financings as well as using technology assets as collateral.
- Intellectual property management. We leverage our substantive deal experience to provide valued strategic counseling in structuring, evaluating, enforcing and defending intellectual property rights to maximize value.
- Internet. As the scope and complexity of internet commerce continues to grow, our team has cultivated extensive experience with the ever-expanding breadth of legal issues related to doing business online, cloud computing, implementing electronic agreements and signatures, cybersquatting, advertising, defamation, domain names and assisting in navigating through the numerous conflicting laws of various countries and jurisdictions.
- Data processing. We help our clients craft contracts involving rights to data, access to databases and the processing of data, and provide related advice in order to comply with evolving privacy and information security laws, regulations and industry practices, particularly within the healthcare and financial services industries.
- Art and entertainment. Our attorneys have assisted entertainers, publishers, authors, artists, sports figures and media companies in securing, exploiting and defending rights to their work and their likeness and related transactions.
- Technology dispute resolution and settlement. Leveraging Venable’s nationally ranked litigators and our subject matter experts, we regularly assist with protecting and enforcing rights, resolving disputes and crafting settlement arrangements involving intellectual property and technology.
- Franchise. We counsel companies in preparing franchise agreements and ancillary documents and complying with federal and state franchise and business opportunity laws.
- IP Audits. We assist clients in auditing their IP assets both to insure against infringement and to enhance the value of their own assets.
- Bankruptcy. Should a client or one of their licensors or licensees declare bankruptcy, we review pending agreements to protect our client. In the event of a bankruptcy proceeding, we maximize our clients' ability to use or stop the use of their IP assets.
We understand your business.
Venable clients range from early-stage technology enterprises to established Fortune 100 companies. Our skills and experience have enabled us to assist those clients across many industries and technology needs. Although we are deal lawyers, many of our attorneys have prior industry experience as engineers, programmers, scientists, industry consultants and reviewers (hardware and software).
Moreover, our attorneys are well-grounded in the underlying substantive laws and, thus, help clients understand the legal requirements and ramifications of a deal.
We also work closely with a network of legal experts in foreign countries to provide the necessary local expertise in an increasingly global marketplace. Consequently, we understand the rapidly changing nature of IP and technology across multiple industry segments and its impact on both the law and our clients’ businesses.
Whether identifying and exploiting newly developed technology or structuring, drafting and negotiating agreements to realize the full value of the related intellectual property, intangible or technology assets, Venable attorneys work with clients to help reach their objectives both domestically and internationally.