Venable has extensive experience in the field of labor and employee relations representing public sector employers. On behalf of major metropolitan areas, state agencies, and the federal government, Venable attorneys have served as chief negotiators in collective bargaining, advocates in binding interest and grievance arbitration, and litigators on behalf of government personnel officers in both administrative agencies and in the courts. The issues have included union wages and benefits, labor contract interpretations, non-union class actions for both discrimination and overtime, and individual employee discrimination complaints.
Clients tell Chambers and Partners that, "Venable has a very credible core of labor and employment lawyers."
Venable’s labor and employment lawyers have frequently served as behind the scenes advisors as well, counseling public sector officials in the administration of both union and non-union personnel policies
Venable’s representative engagements on behalf of public sector employers include the following:
- Venable attorneys have acted as lead negotiators on behalf of dozens of local, state and federal government agencies dealing with many different public sector unions including AFSCME, ATU, FOP, IAFF, OPEIU, SEIU, Teamsters, AFT, NEA and UFCW. Venable attorneys have negotiated bargaining agreements covering every conceivable type of public employee, including teachers, police, firemen, office clericals, healthcare workers, parks and recreation, water and sewer, transportation, and public housing.
- For more than a decade, Venable attorneys have served as chief negotiators and strategists for a major metropolitan area transit authority, including bus and rail transit operations, maintenance personnel, transit police, and office clericals.
- Other agency representations have included water, power, housing and sewer authorities.
- Venable has represented federal government agencies in connection with union organizing and collective bargaining, and defense of class action discrimination claims.
- Venable currently serves as Labor Consultant to the State University System. In that capacity, Venable advises the Chancellor as to the proper interpretation of and compliance with the State Higher Education Collective Bargaining Law and serves as Chief Negotiator for a seven member coalition of State University institutions which bargains with the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) as to economic and other core terms and conditions of employment of the non-exempt employees at the member institutions.
- Venable attorneys have represented many County Boards of Education in negotiations, grievance handling and arbitration of employee disputes.
- Venable handles personnel matters for numerous City and County governments, including defense of discrimination claims, grievance handling and employee arbitrations.
- For many state and local government agencies, Venable has negotiated changes to pension and retirement plans and advised on all manner of pension, health and welfare issues.
- Venable has represented government agencies in both state and federal courts, defending against wage and overtime collection actions, proceedings to set aside or confirm arbitration awards, discrimination claims, and wrongful discharge complaints.
We are concerned with every aspect of the employer-employee relationship in the public sector. Our decades of experience across a wide range of industries and practice areas helps our clients control their labor costs, avoid workplace disputes, and defend themselves when litigation arises.