A partner in Venable's Intellectual Property Litigation Group and co-chair of the firm's Post-Grant Practice Group, Ralph Dengler has spent nearly 20 years in practice in the private and public sectors. He has significant experience litigating and counseling patent, trademark, trade secret, unfair competition, and copyright matters in federal courts across the country. Mr. Dengler represents clients across diverse technologies, including chemical compounds and pharmaceuticals, electronics, food containers and packaging, gun products, marine construction and dredging, publishing and social media, streaming media, and telecommunications.
Mr. Dengler began his legal career as an Assistant District Attorney in the Bronx, New York, prosecuting criminal cases.
In addition to his legal career, Mr. Dengler served for 22 years as an Infantry Officer in the U.S. Marine Corps, retiring in 2010 as a Reserve Colonel. His service included combat tours in Operations Desert Shield/Desert Storm in 1991 and the Global War on Terrorism in 2003 in An Nasiriyah and in 2007-2008 in Ramadi. He has commanded Platoon through Battalion-sized Marine Infantry units.
Mr. Dengler is currently leading the team on several matters, including:
- As lead trial counsel, won jury trial verdict, including willful infringement for NobelBiz in its patent infringement lawsuit in the Eastern District of Texas against Global Connect, LLC and TCN, Inc. relating to its LocalTouch® technology. Lead counsel handling Federal Circuit appeal.
- Ongoing representation of telecommunications provider in patent and trademark counseling and enforcement.
- Representing streaming media technology companies in defending against patent troll litigation, including inter partes review proceeding.
- Defending maple syrup jug manufacturer in trade dress dispute.
In prior engagements Mr. Dengler has represented:
- Trigger manufacturer in defending against patent infringement allegations.
- Iconic motorcycle franchise in defending patent troll lawsuit relating to video surveillance and monitoring.
- Pet products manufacturer in defending against and resolving patent infringement lawsuit.
- Food packaging company in enforcing settlement agreement against foreign "knock-off" competitor, and initiating design patent and trade dress infringement and breach of contract claims against alter ego entity; separately, defended against counterclaims of patent infringement and unfair competition, prevailing for client on summary judgment.
- Marine dredging and construction company in declaratory judgment action against patent holding company that threatened a multimillion-dollar port expansion project.
- Electronics manufacturer, global advertising technology and content creation company, real estate entity and electronic securities broker in defending against lawsuits brought by patent trolls.
- Magazine publishing entity in defending against trademark infringement and Lanham Act allegations; separately, provided counsel regarding TTAB opposition and related trademark dispute.
- Financial ratings company in bringing theft of trade secrets, Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and breach of contract claims against former employees; separately, defended against copyright infringement assertions.
- Innovator pharmaceutical companies in patent litigations against generic drug manufacturers relating to anti-viral, blood clotting, bone density, macular degeneration, organ transplant, and ovarian cancer pharmaceutical compounds and ingredients.
- Manufacturers of baby carriers, digital compass mirrors, injectable insulin pens, pet products, razor blades, and solar panels in defending against claims of patent infringement.
- Clients in IP due diligence matters relating to acquisition of a portfolio of patents relating to software, polymers, and silicon-related technologies.
- Local chef and restaurateur in trademark and domain name dispute with former business partner.
- Nonprofit education company that provides resources and instruction to elementary schools for teaching etiquette toward military veterans (pro bono).
- Online gaming entity in asserting various business torts against gaming entity.
Mr. Dengler serves on the board of directors of the Marine Toys for Tots Foundation in Quantico, VA. He is an editor of and contributor to Venable's IP Buzz
, a publication providing analysis and a round-up of IP legal news.